Theory of Geography
Study Cycle: 2
ECTS credit: 6
Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Rogelj Boštjan, red. prof. dr. Ogrin Darko
• Ontological, gnoseological and heuristic viewpoints of geography as a science;
• Geography within the system of sciences: affinity and different approaches
• Elements of scientific explanation as a goal of scientific cognition;
• Antagonism of society-nature;
• Geographical explanation; geographical concepts. Doctrine, paradigm, theory, system, strategy, concept, plan.
• The way and importance of theoritacal way of thinking. Terminological explanation of terms related to »space« in geography.
• The foundation of scientific geography (geography in the Ancient world; Middle ages and Renaissance; Varenius and Kant; The begining of modern geography; Humboldt and Ritter; Darwinism and geography; Geographical determinism; Possibilism and development of Regional geography)
• The history of Slovene geography (Before foundation of University of Ljubljana; Between 1st and 2nd World War; After 2nd World War)
• Development of geographic after World War II (Paradigms in geography; Positivism and quantitative revolution; Behavioural geography; Modern ecological approaches in geography; Humanism; Structuralism and Marxism; Critical geography; Feminist geography; Postmodern geography)