Basic translation skills I
Study Cycle: 1
Lecturer(s): prof. dr. Vintar Špela
The course gives an overview of language technologies for translators. Its main goal is to raise the students' awareness of the role of technology in the translation business, and within this framework the course introduces all major technologies, software tools and procedures involved in computer-aided translation.
The topics include:
- An overview of translation technologies
- Translation memory tools (SDL Trados Studio, Acros, DVX etc.)
- Terminology management software (SDL Trados MultiTerm)
- Text alignment tools
- Translation project management tools
- Interpreting tools
- Quality assurance tools
- Localization and internationalization
- Machine translation: theory and existing systems
- Translation services in a globalized world: web-based translation services, cloud translation etc.